Some good news:
THE BIG NEWS!! I got offered a graduate assistantship (highly competitive) to teach at the university next semester! Not only will it mean earning some skrilla, but also it will mean I get to be a real instructor, listed in the official course schedule, and with the authority to assign grades that will go on people's college transcripts. How scary is that? (for them, I mean). I will be teaching 2 courses (I don't know what yet) at the English Language Institute (ELI) which offers courses in academic reading, speaking/listening, and writing for international students enrolled at UH.
PLUS! Today I got my second exam in my linguistics class and I got a PERFECT score (105%) and it was supposed to be hard. I'm kicking ass this semester. :)
HERE'S MY CONCERN: Knowing me, despite the fact that I will be teaching 2 classes (a 20+ hour committment, including prep and office hours, per week), I'm sure I will add to my plate a bunch of other things too. The GAship grants you full-tuition waivers for as many credits as you want to take, while the department waiver only gives you up to 12 credit hours. That tempts me into taking advantage and signing up for more than 12 hours. I'm thinking I might take one of the more demanding core courses (I was planning on taking two) and then maybe 2 other less demanding elective courses. Then I could also sign up for a "for-me" class which could be a language class or maybe ballroom dancing or who knows?! I better not do a play too... ;)
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sweet. Great job, Mat. I'm glad you're enjoying Hawaii so much, and seeing so much success. Keep it up!
Post a Comment