Continuing on the notion of stage kisses from the last post...
Ever since I joined the noble art of acting, I longed for a role where I was kissed. If you are familiar with my acting history (my oeuvre, so to speak), then you know that those roles were not easy to come by. Instead I played a handful of "character" roles that often involved some sort of service to others (i.e. gardener, waiter, butler, orderly, etc.). I played them quite well, but didn't get any "play" out of them (if you know what I mean). These last two shows I've done, both Under a Western Sky and A Streetcar Named Desire have landed me (literally) a kiss. I often get from those not involved in theater comments like, "Ooo, are you practicing your kiss scene. So lucky!" I usually play it up like it is a big deal, but I suppose it is time to admit that it is not. While the kisses in both plays were real kisses, not just pecks on the cheek (although not tongue kisses either), they really aren't as exciting as they seem. I was thinking about this the other day, and I'm destined to be kissed again tonight, but it really doesn't have any impact on me whatsoever. Besides perhaps the soft sensation on my lips, I'm too busy thinking of how I should play up this moment for the audience and I have my eyes closed and by the time it's over I don't feel changed at all. I guess that is a big difference. I think a real kiss should penetrate you to your heart and leave you changed somehow afterwards (usually happier). And in the last play when I kissed her she bit my lip. That could be exciting the first couple of times, but after that it just hurts! ;-)
Monday, October 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment