Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hawaiian Fall for Halloween?


A few days ago I actually wore a long-sleeved shirt. Actually, I started off in a T-shirt and got soaked by some heavy rains and then really cold that I went back home and changed. I think it was the first day since I've been here that the majority of people were wearing long sleeves! Of course, later that afternoon the rain let up and it was a little warm for the long sleeves and it has been warm ever since. Still, a brief moment of fall was nice.

Yesterday I walked home from the supermarket with almost 40lbs of groceries (I weighed them!) and survived to tell the tale. Man, hitting the hills was soooo rough! What was I thinking?! I was desperate for some food I suppose. It was torture and I decided that I hate not having access to a car.

Oh! And Halloween. In case you haven't already heard, I dressed up for the first time in many years, although it was quite tame. I was a cowboy. I had a big wolf belt-buckle and a hat and a collared shirt and a wife-beater (that's the technical term, isn't it?), but no boots. I wore my hat (a really nice hat that I bought and makes me happy!) all day and (thanks to a dare) gave a presentation in one of my classes with my hat on (I know you shouldn't wear it indoors, but it was a dare) and I used a southern accent. I switched modes after class and really hicked it up by adding a tatoo on my arm (a longhorn steer with the phrase "Betsy Forever") and a blue plaid shirt with the sleeves ripped off. Classy.

I had rehearsal that night and then went down to Waikiki where they have this huge Halloween parade/party in the streets a la San Francisco. By the time I got there, though, almost all my friends had left, so I didn't get to see them dressed up, which is totally unfair because they all saw me. Leejin had waited for me so we walked around a bit and I was able to get a taste of the craziness. It wasn't all that exciting; I mean, you'd have to have more of a plan because just walking around could getting boring after a while. And everyone was so tired because we had that presentation to give (grrrr) and most of my friends also had this huge term paper due that day too (I didn't have one, but I was editing Leejin's late the night before). The best costume (in my opinion): a potted plant with pot and table. Not too practical for walking around crowded streets though. :)

It didn't feel too much like Halloween though. Maybe because not too many people decorated and it wasn't very fall-like. I also really missed carving pumpkins, baking pumpkin seeds, watching semi-scary/Halloweeny movies, trick-or-treaters, etc. But, oh well. Next year will rock even harder!

No comments: