Saturday, October 21, 2006
Giving Thanks to Kegs and Kaua'i
My friend Sarah, the one who so graciously took me into her home and gave me shelter in my time of need, had a birthday party Friday. It was actually a lot of fun. I just realized talking to Stasia that it was my first keg party which was really exciting. It really wasn’t very crazy or anything, and I still haven’t gotten drunk, but a good experience nonetheless. Far better than stupid frat parties, for sure. The best part was that I got a chance to finally talk in length to some of the second and third years in our program (yes, it isn’t a two-year program as advertised…most people take three years) since Sarah is in her third year. I felt like I bonded. One girl, who happens to be the president of our student organization HATESL (Hawaii Association of Teachers of English as a Second Language), got so excited about doing a flash mob (which unfortunately I discovered does not involve flashing, but instead getting a mob of people to gather in a public place doing something strange and then just leave after a few minutes as if nothing happened). It sounds pretty awesome and I think she wants to do a flash tag game which sounds like chaos of the best kind. Also, I was invited on a trip to Kauai over Thanksgiving break to go camping and hiking. Kaua’i is the oldest of all the Hawaiian isles and is known as the Garden Isle due to its lushness. It sounds fun, but I kinda wanted to be home for Thanksgiving so I could spend it with Ellie’s family. This will be my first Thanksgiving without my family…ever…and it would be nice to have a big dinner and all the fixings and family. I’d rather not spend it in some cabin with some people I don’t know that well and eating canned beans. Ya know? Maybe I can go the day after. Anyways, we’ll see where I end up. Hopefully somewhere exciting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment