Saturday, September 30, 2006

People Go to Hawaii to Study???

I thought I'd briefly describe the classes I'm taking and how they're going.

First, remember my MA program is Second Language Studies (SLS) which does NOT mean learning a second language, but refers to the field of applied linguistics which incorporates areas like:
-Language teaching/pedagogy
-Language use (in various contexts)
-Multilingualism
-Language testing, assessment, program evaluation/development
-Literacy acquisitition (reading/writing in second languages)
-Language planning and politics
-Second Language Acquisition (psycholinguistics)

Also remember the term we use for second language is L2...first language is L1 for short. Notice a pattern?

I'm taking three classes:

Language Concepts for SLS:
  • This is more or less a foundational linguistics class. We talk about the major areas of linguistic grammar: phonetics (sounds), phonology (rules behind sound combinations), morphology (words), syntax (sentences), and semantics (meaning). This class is taken by some undergraduates as well and so we have quizzes and homework exercise problems and tests. I actually really like the subject though and so sometimes I read the test for fun and I participate a lot in class. We have three tests and I got a 102% on my first test (thanks to a few extra credit points)!
  • We also have to do an analysis of the grammar of a language we don't know. That should be fun...
  • I got a bunch of the quotes that I used in previous entries from this class. You should really check out the book The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker if you can.
Introduction to SLS:
  • This class is an introduction to the field. We begin by talking about the program at UH and the resources available and defining the field of applied linguistics (distinguishing it from linguistics). We then did some analysis of different university SLS programs and some of the main issues of SLS research and controversy. We had to do a presentation on a subfield of applied linguistics to practice research skills and familiarize ourselves with journals, professional organizations, and conferences in the field.
  • Exciting topics still to come: types of research and research methods and exploration of the four major domains of SLS (L2 learning, L2 use, L2 analysis, and L2 pedagogy).
  • We also have to do a research article critique and a position paper with a literature review which will probably be the most involved writing task this semester.
  • The professor has some interesting anecdotes, but the class is mostly free-form small group discussion.
Second Language Writing:
  • This is my favorite class. It is really interesting (probably because it isn't an introductory class) and I participate a lot in this class too (although I'm trying to shut myself up). People think (based on my comments) that I have a lot more experience than I do (and also that I'm a lot older than I am). But I'm okay with people thinking I'm smart. As long as my comments are appreciated, I guess I shouldn't feel to bad about giving them.
  • We talk about all sorts of interesting topics: how to give feedback, peer review, use of technology in writing, comparing rhetorics across cultures, cultural impact on L2 writing, how the L1 influences L2 writing, what is "good writing," writing for audiences, plagiarism, politics of L2 writing, etc.
  • The second half of the class we decide as a class what we will do. We will decide what topics to address, types of activities to do, or whether we want to read more articles.
  • Everyone gets an A as long as they complete the assignments!
  • We write a short, free-response paper to the readings once a week and get peer and teacher feedback on our writing (focusing on content) which kinda puts into use the concepts we talk about.
  • Fun Fun Fun!

No comments: