Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Sweet Retreat

From September 2-3:

This weekend I was whisked away to frolic and mingle with students and faculty in the Second Language Studies (SLS) program at a secluded hideaway on the other side of the island. It was the furthest I've ventured on O'ahu since I arrived. I guess I should start by explaing what SLS means because people ask me about it all the time. It is really another name for applied linguistics that focuses in on second language (L2) learning instead of first language (L1) learning. This field covers a range of interdisciplinary concepts such as second language acquisition, second language (L2) teaching/learning/pedagogy, L2 program/curriculum development, L2 testing and research, social and political concerns of language learning, foriegn language (language not used in host country) vs. second language (language of host country), bilingualism/multilingualism, and I'm sure there are other things. So, when I say my program is in SLS, "Oh, what language are you studying?" would not be an appropriate response.

That said, the retreat is so much fun. I think I've learned a lot by being in Summerbridge about how to conduct myself in situations such as this. I tried to be friendly and talk to most of the people there (I think nearly everyone knows who I am) and I also tried to participate in everything and help out whenever I could. Basically, just like in Summerbridge, there wasn't an idle moment (or when there was, I felt bad- like there is someone I should be helping or talking to). It was really nice to hang out with all these people and I can tell there are a whole bunch of cool people I'd like to spend more time with. Plus, spending more time with all the Korean and Japanese girls helped me to be able to distinguish them a little better!

Although most of the time was unstructured hang out time, there were a lot of activities as well. I played ultimate frisbee for the first time and found out that there really is an emphasis on the ultimate part. I remember frisbee being a really chill thing to do in a park on a nice day, but this game is brutal and competitive and I don't know if I'm sold on it. I also played some basketball and successfully completed my first ally-oop (wow! what a fun word to attempt to spell!). I was guarding one of our professors (a rather short and aged man) and shutting him down until he, dripping with sweat, gained the advantage by taking off his shirt street-style which made give him a lot more space. Fun! I also got to teach some of the Korean and Japanese the art of S'more making. A couple of girls had never seen a marshmallow before and were mesmorized by its texture.

The highlight, though, was this auction we had. I've never been to an auction, but even if I had, I'm sure this would have been my favorite auction ever. The selling point was the auctioneer who was hysterical and he had to where this bright yellow and orange mumu the entire time! Many of the auction items were services like I'll teach you how to surf or I'll serenade someone for you with my cello, but others were themed parties or trips. I bought two things: a hike to Manoa Falls with a baguette and wine picnic at the top ($15) and a Chinese New Year Festival party with food of all sorts, games, traditions, and more! ($47). The crazy thing is that I also offered a party. I will be hosting a Salsa Fiesta where I teach the guests how to make some Mexican dishes (like enchiladas, Mexican rice, salsa, I don't know), teach them a few Spanish phrases, and also teach them to salsa dance. I don't know what I'm doing. Feel free to send me some recipes. I guess I should also learn to dance too. The party is for six, tickets went for $27, and 2 professors (including one from Spain!) will be attending. I don't even have a place to host it yet. Luckily, these can all be worked out later.

Anyways, the trip was fun and I posted some pictures on Flickr from it. Enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matespi

No comments: