Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anniversary

I understand a month does not make an anniversary, but I've been in Hawaii for over a month now. My classes are over 1/4 done! And I'm so happy. I've found a home...finally. I've even adopted calling this new home Hawai'i instead of Hawaii. (I know, you're thinking "WHAT?")

I miss people for sure. I miss Shahla's hugs. I miss making fun of Shirley. I miss my grandma doting on me. I wish I could share this wonderful island with everyone. Things have changed a lot from my perspective when I first arrived here. But when I think about how much has changed since a year ago, it scares me.

September 10 was the anniversary of my mom's passing. Before that I had two parents, a girlfriend, a somewhat sheltered outlook on life, and a lot of innocence. I've lost, I've struggled, and I've grown since. I'm stronger now. I'm happier now. I bring with me the wisdom gained from loss and suffering, the perspective of facing death, and the eyes of an adult. I've bounced around a lot, from home to home, job to job, country to country, but I've landed. I've landed on both feet. I stand tall again.

A month later, I can appreciate life again. I can wake up every morning, thankful to be alive and have another day ahead of me.

I appreciate it now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And we miss you too! Hugs, Glenda