Tonight I attempted my first bar outing since I've been here. I also realized another drawback for having lost my wallet. I went all the way down to Waikiki to the Ala Moana Center and didn't have any ID!! I don't have a driver's license now and who the hell carries around a passport everywhere? Well, I think I need to get some form of Hawaiian ID for security reasons and because carrying around my passport is just plain inconvenient and losing that would be tragic. So, we had to go back to my house and ended up a bar close by. I witnessed a few wacky incidents. First of all, this huge Samoan guy came up to one of my friend's German boyfriend and unbuttoned his shirt because he said he looked too uptight for Hawaii. I wish I could get hit on like that. Then there was a fight on the street outside the bar that involved people getting out of a car, punching and kicking this other group (the way real men were meant to fight) and a lot of hollering. It ended with the guys getting back into the car, reversing to try and run over this other guy, and then the other guy trying to kick the car only to fall on his booty. Because the bar is not enclosed and everyone is out on the patio, there was a running commentary throughout the fight and everyone there (and there were a lot of people) was cheering them one and there was a lot of whistling and whooping as the fight came to a conclusion. Finally, on my way this moped drives by and then suddenly the muffler drops off. Crazy.
By the way, Hawaii is beautiful. I don't know if there are many who would disagree. Still, when I walk to school and see the ocean and the mountains and the city and the beautiful flowers, it really is invigorating. I really like the mountains here; they look different, much more tropical than the mountains on the mainland. I told someone that I feel like I'm in Jurassic Park when I look at the mountains (just what I needed, right? to be scared of dinosaurs on top of all the bugs) and then, randomly, I was reading a travel article on Hawaii and found out Jurassic Park was filmed here! How appropriate my simile. I do miss sidewalks though. While I'm hiking up my hill to get home, there is always the threat of being run over. Most people just walk on people's lawn, but I haven't morally brought myself to do that (unless the lawn is ugly) and sometimes that isn't even an option. Besides nearly dying everyday, I really like living here. It is paradise after all! I would really like to get a car and explore it more. Hmmm....
Sunday, September 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment