work---eat---blog---rehearsal--------------------------------------------
-------home----sleep--WAKE UP!
I finally worked at Punahou today. I taught 7th grade English and actually had a lot of fun. I'm booked to teach 5th grade on Wednesday. I didn't have a lesson plan, so I made one up in about 15 minutes. The teacher will be surprised to find out that I gave them homework! Luckily the students were reading a play (perfect right?) and it was Iphegenia, a play that I actually worked on at Vanderbilt. So it was easier to invent a lesson for. I felt good cuz I was really teaching, not "subbing" (i.e. baby-sitting) which it can be many times.
The play is currently running near 3 hours long. Be prepared if you are coming to see it! It is good though. I just wonder if the technical elements will come together. I have a bunch of friends coming to see me act tomorrow, so I hope they figure it out soon.
I had a meeting with the director of the ELI (English Language Institute), the department I'll be teaching in next semester. It's pretty certain that I'll be teaching writing. There are three writing classes:
-ELI 73: Writing for foreign students
-ELI 83: Advanced writing for foreign grad students
-ELI 100: Expository writing (equivalent to the Freshman Comp class in the English dept)
I really wanted to teach the 100 class, but they want someone to teach 83. I told them I would be scared of grad students. The director said I had a fantastic interview and was the first person to be hired, so that was a great complement. It is always nice to know that people were fighting over you. And now I just need to figure out how to adapt my teaching methods and adopt new ones to meet college students. How exciting! I'm an English teacher officially. I never thought I would be teaching academic expository writing to adults, but here I am. I hated essay writing in high school. Actually I didn't like it much in college either (at least not in the literary analysis sense), but don't tell anyone that. I am much more comfortable with the kinds of research in our field though and enjoy that style of writing, so go me. I will be studying MLA format over break.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment