Saturday, November 11, 2006

I want a car...

It is hard to have a social life without a car. It makes being social and visiting friends and exploring the city so inconvenient, especially when it means staying out late and theBus stops running and you have to walk back or spend $10 on a cab. It sucks! On top of it all, few of my friends have places that lend themselves to just hanging out and chilling till late. And a lot of things close up pretty early in this wanna-be big city. So, you need efficiency and a car would help. It makes me stay home and not explore so much more often, especially when you keep a pretty tight schedule like I do. So, that's my thought. My Bank of Hawaii statement that I received yesterday precludes me from ameliorating the current circumstances, but perhaps in 2007 I will have the car that all the locals in Hawaii say you need in order to survive here. I'm beginning to agree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no! don't do it! there are always alternatives! may I suggest one of the two-wheeled variety?;) you'd never have to pay for gas or insurance! and think of all the global warming you wouldn't be contributing to! don't give in to the carmongers!;)

Mat Espinosa said...

Yes! Great. So I get a bike or scooter or moped, whatever. And it makes it easier to meet up with people and shop, etc. BUT! When it is time to leave and everyone else doesn't have transportation, do I just ditch them? At least with a car I can transport other people and then they don't have an excuse for saying "oh, I'm tired" or "I don't have the time" or "I have to leave early to catch the last bus" or whatever. And if I don't drive it that often, there is minimal global warming contribution. But mostly it is the getting together with people and then everyone complains about how hard it is and I won't be able to convince everyone to bike. That's the dilemma. Plus, I don't remember how to bike. Wait, that's impossible. Nevermind. :)

Mat Espinosa said...

p.s. Remember that often I am the lone guy in a group of girls and it becomes my responsibility to get everyone home safely on the mean streets of Honolulu. That often means walking a long ways to drop off each person.