Sunday, March 19, 2006

Slipping and Sliding

Slipping and sliding in the SNOW!! How many of you have heard of Sly Park? If you haven't, it is this really cool nature school up in the Sierra Nevada mountains where many local sixth grade classes go for a week long camping trip. By camping, we mean cozy cabins with heat and electricity, good meals, and lots of fun and games. Of course, hikes are involved which is where the slipping and sliding aspect factors into the equation. Because of all the snow, it was so beautiful. What an experience. And it wasn't even that cold (of course I did have many layers on). The kids had a lot of fun and didn't even get into as much mischief as you would expect from sixth graders. I did, however, get to be involved in some disciplining of a boy who yelled out to this girl, "I want your body." I really hate this kind of stuff, but I was pretty proud of myself for how I handled it. I think it's just one of those aspects of teaching that takes time to get good at.

But most of the kids behaved really well and, honestly, we (the teachers) didn't even have to see them all that often. Because the kids have cabin leaders (parents and high school volunteers) who spend the day/night with them and Sly Park teachers who lead them in nature classes and hikes, they are pretty much taken care of. We had to lead a couple of activities during the week and a half-hour daily class session, but otherwise we were more like supervisors. That means more time for hanging out and talking and resting and having fun...Especially once the kids go to bed. Then these teachers let their hair down. I wish you could meet them. But, we did join in with the kids' classes during the day sometimes.

The highlight of the week came when a couple of us went on a hike to watch some of the students build shelters in the woods. Lots of slipping and sliding, but how many chances do I get to go for a hike in the snow. After watching these kids set up some logs to try and make a shelter along the creek, we headed back up the hill and ran into another group who were heading out to build igloos. They took us to a clearing as big as a baseball stadium and surrounded by evergreen trees frosted with snow. Because no one had ventured out here before, there was about two feet of fresh snow everywhere. Holy smokes! It was like being transported into another world and I was just in awe. I had to stand for a moment to catch my breath and then joined in with the other teachers making snow angels. It is so much fun just falling straight back and being caught by a soft cushion of snow. And, of course, my angel was the best (in case you were wondering), although I noticed the butt was a little more sunk in than I would have liked. And then I got to watch the kids roll up big snow balls as they build their ice fortresses and added insulation. Pretty magical.

I'm guessing the kids all had a really memorable experience, I know I did. I wish I could go back every year. I guess I'm going to have to teach sixth grade. I got to drive one of the teachers' car back to Didion and had a close encounter with a deer. Man! They just bolt out at you. But, luckily I missed it/it missed me and I didn't wreak someone else's nice new vehicle. And when I got to the school I got to see all the kids reuniting with their folks and it was so cute! There were a lot of hugs and smiling and just so much happiness. I don't know if I've had that much in a long time.

So, THE POINT: raise your kids in northern California and insist that their school takes them to Sly Park in sixth grade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

heh. I particularly approve of the use of "holy smokes!" --so much so that I'll even overlook your failure to attribute it to the appropriate source!

;)

Anonymous said...

My sixth grade is going on a ecology camp outing next week. Today I was talking to some of them and I said " a teacher friend of mine took his class...." You're a colleague now! Glenda