Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Day for Acceptance

I know my life has been filled with many challenges, as all lives are, but along with those lows come highs as well. And today was a day for the highs. I'm glad I get to share them with you.

First of all, my first week of rehearsals has been great. I'm really excited about the play and acting again. I'll be onstage the whole time! And the people are really nice and it's going to be a lot of fun hanging out with them. Actually, there is one that's a little hard to work with (diva), but she's still nice. So, that has given me something worthwhile to look forward to everyday. I really hope a lot of you are able to see it. Definitely the biggest role I've played before and I'm really taking the acting seriously. We've already blocked the whole first act and I'm supposed to be off-book (i.e. memorized) by Monday. We'll see how that goes.

SECOND, I have a job!!! I'll be the new fourth grade teacher at Sacramento Country Day School to finish out the year. I've got all the paperwork in order and I'm getting my saccds.org email account and parking space and all that jazz. The kids are really sweet and really excited to have a male teacher. It'll be a perfect job for now and I could really use the money. And I start MONDAY!! So, bring on that first check! But I'll be overlapping with the current teacher for a week or two before she goes on maternity leave. Actually, they have Spring Break starting next Thursday and going through the following week, so I'll be on vacation again before I know it. Oh! I guess I still have rehearsals, huh? Oh well.

OK

THIRD, I got in!!! I just got an email tonight from Hawaii saying
"I am happy to say that I have just signed off on your application form that our admissions committee has decided to admit you to the MA in SLS program as of fall, 2006. Congratulations!"
And not only that, but they are also offering me a tuition waiver and, as they say, "given your high ranking in our applicant pool," I may also receive a graduate assistanceship to help with other costs. Cool, eh? The email came directly from the chair of the department with whom I've communicated with a few times. I thought Hawaii would take their sweet time given the laid-back Hawaiian attitude, but they were the first to respond. Come on Berkeley and Stanford. What's taking you?

For now though...

ALOHA HAWAI'I

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Congratulations on both counts! Ashley