Friday, January 21, 2005

Worst Time Driving Ever!!

Friday: 1/21/05

· Okay, so I’m always so exhausted by the time Friday rolls around. And tomorrow I have an early CPR class to be excited about. NOT!! Isn’t that so 90s. Oh, by the way, weather has returned to reasonable. No need to be alarmed. Speaking of alarms. You know what’s alarming? This whole tsunami relief thing. I mean, I think it’s great that people are so compassionate about all the Asians who lost their homes, BUT at the same time can you imagine what the billions of dollars we’ve raised to send of their could do for us here. We could solve our own homeless problem, balance the budget, give a more decent education to our kids (and a more decent wage to our teachers…) It doesn’t make me sad that we’re being so generous and caring about the tragedy of the tsunami, it’s just that people won’t give that sort of money to help take care of our domestic problems (heaven forbid we raise taxes—let’s cut Medicaid instead). And besides that political note, Wed. was Ronnie’s 21st birthday and what better way to celebrate it than at…US Border Cantina!! Yeah, nothing says a 21st birthday better than cheap Mexicans (I mean Mexican food), margaritas, and a birthday shot of tequila. It was fun though, but it makes me feel hella young. By the way, I’ve had to translate the phrase “hella dayz” twice from Californian to normal talk. And speaking of hell, I had the driving experience from hell yesterday. In this tiny VW bug through rush hour and multiple accident traffic, I thought I was going to die. It was so stressful and on top of it all I didn’t really know where I was going– which was proven when I realized I was lost and, upon consulting a map, I was already off the map. “Luckily, I can just turn around and go back the way I came and be cool,” I thought to myself. This plan was thwarted by a diesel that decided to explode and close down the freeway. So, with a few random turns I made it to a street that, by the grace of God, took me back to town. I made it to my first appointment 25min. after it was over and everyone went home. I did a better job making it to the next place cuz 1) I consulted a map first, 2) there wasn’t as much traffic and 3) I’m not stupid. Overall, I saw 4 accidents (not counting the exploding diesel) and it wasn’t even raining or anything. Stupid Nashville. But, I went to a meeting about this program I’m working with where I hang out with latino high-schoolers and their families and try to help them out with all the issues that come with immigration. It is gonna be sooo awesome!! I kinda let the first meeting cuz I was the only one who spoke Spanish well. We talked with the kids about the problems they have at school (classes, English, gangs, fights, peer pressure) and at home (culture clashes, etc.) and played some games. I can’t wait. We each get our own family to mentor and so I’ll really get to know my family well.

· My mom is doing fairly well from what I hear. She’s really tired and has daily radiation treatments to go to, but it’s working out okay so far. I’m looking into a time in Feb. when I can go home for a while/escape the cold weather here.

· HOW AM I GONNA SURVIVE WITHOUT A CAR THIS SEMESTER????!!!! This is a major concern I’m dealing with now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great commentary of your Driving Matness in TN. These are the things you wil remember when you return to CA and experience all the additional traffic that has been building up for the past three year!