Wednesday: 1/26/05
· First of all...Happy Birthday Mom!! Yesterday was my mom’s birthday and I think there was some celebrating, family, cake, gift-giving, and a big Kings win to mark off another year of life. I only wish I could’ve been there. Although, yesterday was such a nice day here. Sunny and warm– what a concept!! And I could already feel the new cold front pulling through as it started off pretty warm in the morning and got colder and colder as the day went on. This weekend I not only got certified in CPR and first aid (I saw some of the most disgusting images ever of burns, amputations, etc.), but I also saw the movie Garden State. At first I was doubting its goodness, but by the end I really liked it. This is an especially good thing because I bought the movie for my sister and her husband without really knowing what is was like or what it was about. I’ve been really bad at doing my homework this week which isn’t very good because it is having a negative impact on my already negatively impacted sleep patterns. I’ll get used to being in school one of these years. I’ve started going to one of my practica where I’m working with this totally cute first grader named Raul. Cuteness is a huge motivator for making teachers want to teach is what I’ve decided. It’s probably the main factor in making me consider teaching some of the really early grades. He’s from El Salvador and has some problems in reading and so I’m helping him catch up. In our first meeting I read him a Shel Silverstein poem “The Homework Machine” and when I saw him today he said he found the book in the library and tried to read the poem himself. So cute, right? Now our first goal will be for him to be able to read the poem fluently, aloud, and by himself. Tomorrow I start my practicum where I teach math/sci. I’m gonna be in a sixth grade class at an arts magnet middle school. I’m excited to see how they integrate the arts into the classroom and stuff. Oh! A further update on Allison (whom I mentioned in the 1/14 entry): on Friday I’m going to her engagement party. But it’s not just any engagement; she’s engaged to an African prince!! An African prince who just so happens to attend Vandy. Some girls have all the luck. No one else get engaged soon, though, cuz it makes me feel old and a little sad.
· p.s. Don’t forget to tell me how you’re doing sometime...
· And Mom: keep fighting, keep smiling, and keep your spirits up!! I love you and hopefully I’ll be seeing you in about a month.
Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love you son and cannot wait until spring break so I will be able to see you again if only for a week.
Post a Comment