Monday, January 17, 2005

Super China!!

Monday: 1/17/05

· Good morning, Nashville! We’ve got some bring blue skies moving into our area bringing in a trough of frigidity which will accompany the California sunshine with plenty of chilliness. That’s right, folks, paradise conditions appear just outside your window, but outside your door lurks Jack Frost. So bundle up and waddle to a park to enjoy the rays of this beautiful. Expect more of the same tomorrow…

· It was 12 degrees when I left for school at 7:00 in the morning after already battling sleeplessness last night. I nearly retreated to my room after a minute in the cold and then remembered that it probably would not be best to skip 8 hrs of class time because of chilly temps. So I trudged on and after being out and about for nearly 12 hrs, I returned and unwittingly fell asleep on my bed when I was trying to read. It was a little rough getting through today, but I found out that I ended up enrolling in the coolest class ever! My “Cultural Diversity in American Education” class is going to be so fun and we’re going to look at all sorts of weird cultural phenomena that happen in schools like who the “okay” sign might offend, why southerners eat chitlins, and why black kids sometimes don’t perform to the best of their abilities cuz they don’t want to look “white” to their peers. So, that’ll be motivation to go to that class from 4-7 even when it’s freezing.

· I kicked this weekend off with a Donkey Kong tournament with one of my roommates. I’m telling you, having a Super Nintendo is awesome, but probably the last thing I needed to have in this house. I also had dinner at Super China!! It wasn’t that super, but I did get some frog legs and I did have an embarrassing moment squirting crab juice at the people next to me. Then I went bowling without bumpers for the first time in years. I was beaten in both games and it wasn’t pretty. The first game, Ashley, used a patented ‘twinkle toes’ technique involving 2 parts running and one part flicking, bested me by 12. Then, Lan, who used a more standard ‘drop the ball on the lane and see where it goes’ technique somehow coaxed the ball right down the middle the second time to come from behind and beat me by 2. Not that I’m bitter, but I did deserve to win. Still, I bowled a strike in the second round and came in second both times showing that I was the most consistent and, therefore, the most skilled. I rounded out the weekend with a trip to see my first women’s basketball game as we lost (big surprise) to Tennessee who were the ugliest orange sherbet color and deserve to die from coming behind in the final half to end up trouncing us by 14. Still, I managed to return to my room and be productive enough to enjoy watching the snow from the comforts of my own room and try to go to bed early (which I did) so I could sleep (which I did not). Try again tonight...wait! Homework? Oh me...

No comments: