Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Greatest Show on EARTH!!!

I went to the circus today!!!

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey. It was a lot of fun. I'm not quite willing to affirm that it is the greatest show on Earth, but it was darn good. There were tons of people and we ended up getting seats just about as far up as you can get, but that's what happens when you get tickets five minutes before the show. The ring-leader had that awesome stereotypical ring-leader voice telling us about how "Crazy Wilson will now be performing a stunt never before attempted, never before seen. Watch as he attempts the death-defying double summersault on the pendulum of pain while it revolves a hundred feet above the ground. Twice the danger!! And all without the safety of a net!!!" I saw all the things you're supposed to see when you go to the circus. There were elephants standing on their heads, flying feats on the trapeze, a lion tamer sticking his head in the lion's mouth, some tight like Sprite tight-rope walkers, and a tiny clown car holding a never ending supply of clowns. There was also this one clown that did some sketches with people from the audience. The first time, he pulled a young couple from the audience and sent the man into a cage. He proceeded to lock the cage, put a cover over it and try to romance the wife. When it didn't work, he gave the wife a chance to get the husband back, but when she threw the magic dust at the cage...the cover blew off and her husband was turned into a goat. Oh well.

I wish Madi could've come with me cuz they had some really awesome tricks with four motorcyclists in a small circular cage. Some of the tricks people did were so scary. We saw a few people slip or mess up when they tried to do a stunt. Unfortunately, there were no super-exciting serious injuries, but it was reassuring to see them falter a little cuz it shows just how difficult, dangerous, and real these things are. All and all, a good time.

I had a good time at Allison's engagement party too. I found out that I could make a living by creating stories for people buying rings for engagements and weddings to tell others about the symbolism and history behind the design of the ring. There were a bunch of people there so there was a lot of visiting and Allison and Benji taught us how to do some bachata. I really like Allison (she went to Chile the semester before me, by the way) and Benji (the African prince) is really funny too. And he hates to bring too much attention on himself so it was interesting to watch him at a party all about him. Marriage, agh!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mat, I just caught up on your blog. Sounds like you're having fun in spite of school. Thinking of you, Glenda

Anonymous said...

ah! finally a way to comment on your life without rifling through my email addresses! I knew laziness would win out someday:) how do you feel about clowns? I've never been to the circus before, so I haven't met many of them but I have heard that they are pushy guys. And cheerful all the damn time!

love you! -Amineh

Anonymous said...

hey you!
dude, any chance of changing the color scheme?;) Not that you should align your blog to my life, of course, but white and black is hard to read! my poor eyes!
...And beware lest I turn you into a long-distance goat!
So yeah. I'm a fan of this being-able-to-hear-about-Mat-in-a-somewhat-interactive fashion. And circuses sound sweet, yo! (heh, just for you;) have a lovely day!! (and then tell us about it too!:)
love
stasia:)

Anonymous said...

I went to my first engagement party last night too! At first it felt weird like we were just pretending to be adults, but then it was like any other normal party but a little more grown up. Let me know how the Bachelor party goes:)
-Shahla

Anonymous said...

The greatest show on earth. Ringling Bros Circus was my all time favorite as a child and I would love to go again. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did as a child.