Apparently, I will just have to live with the bugs. Actually, I can live with the bugs, it is the spiders that concern me. Last night I killed a cockroach and a few other nondescript bugs. Then I found a gecko which I didn't kill, but it ran out into the hallway when I tried to take a picture of him. After I turned out the lights, I was kept awake by the sounds of a symphony of crickets in my room. I killed the symphony and went back to bed.
Cultural Notes: I got my first pair of $5 flip-flops from the flip-flop aisle at Longs Drugstore today. In Hawaii they call them "slippers" and I hear that slippers are called "slipah." But I'm planning on sticking with flip-flops because neither slippers or thongs seem appropriate. Also, bananas aren't just bananas I found out at the grocery store today. There are yellow bananas, red bananas, and a few other kinds, but I ended up with apple bananas which supposedly are sweeter (and cheaper). Yesterday I went to my first UH sporting event. I saw my first volleyball game and it was a big deal. The women's volleyball team is called the UH Manoa Rainbow Wahine and volleyball in Hawaii is front page, televised news. They are HUGE fans and there were over 7,000 fans attending this exhibition game against Pepperdine. I went with the old lady I'm renting from and two of her grandkids. I'm starting to meet her family and they are all so nice and it will be nice to make friends with her grandkids that are around my age and know people outside of school. Anyways, in a thrilling five-game match, we won. Go Bows!
Monday, August 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment