Walking around town, I can't help but feel like I'm in a Jackie Chan movie. Everywhere you look buildings are being renovated complete with bamboo scaffolding. I keep waiting for some bad guy to break through the different levels as they drop to the floor and I have a strong urge to grab one of the sticks, do some twirling kung-fu actions and then start knocking all the Chinese people out of my way. Damn streets are crowded here. I always have a strong urge to just barrel through people, but that is actually the opposite of what I typically do. I need more self-confidence! Use your elbows!
My new nickname here in order to deal with the fact that there is another Matt at our site is "single-T." I don't know how I feel about it. It is the first time I've ever been called that, which is kinda cool. And we make a pretty cool combination: single-T and double-T.
My Chinese:
hiyah-hiyah = yes!
m goi (sai) = thank you, excuse me, help, stop, over here, general get attention phrase...
ng hai = no
ling, yut, yi, saam, say, ng, luk, chut, baat, gau, sap = counting 1-10
jo sun = good morning
lay sik ng sik ying-man aa? = Do you speak English?
m goi, lawk che = please stop here
wai... = hello (on the phone)
lay hai jeng aa = you are beautiful
gay ho = fine
bye bye = good bye
and the pick-up lines:
lay ho-chi ngaw sik-dak gaw gaw yan = You look like someone I know.
lay tiu dak jan-hai ho = You're a fantastic dancer.
lay jung-ng jung-yi bay yan ngawn-mo aa? = Do you want a massage?
jan hai haw ngoy = What a babe!
I think I'll get along fine.
Monday, July 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment