Sunday, July 16, 2006

My "I am..." Poem

Who I Am

I am a young, male elementary school teacher.
I am committed to education.
I am a big fan of a good movie, dark chocolate, and baseball.
I am as simple and down to earth as I can be.
I am a slow reader, but I love buying books.
I am an actor who loves art and music, but has no talent in either.

I am the first in my family to go to college.
I am mixed-up both racially and emotionally.
I am a bilingual, open-minded, world traveler.
I am shy and sometimes antisocial, but some people don’t know that.
I am surprised when people remember me or compliment me.
I am kind-hearted, but sometimes I get stepped on and my heart gets broken.

I am tall, but not too tall,
Smart, but not too smart,
And handsome, but not too handsome.
I am a brother, an uncle, a mentor, and a role-model and I take that job seriously.
I am a part of a family that forms my foundation.
I am part of a network of friends that gives me support.
I am a believer in humanity’s capacity for good and the power of happy thoughts.
I am working on my smile wrinkles.

I am 22, but sometimes I feel much older
And sometimes I feel much younger.
I am convinced that I will have a daughter named Mina Xochi Espinosa.
I am hoping I will marry someone who can cook healthy food that tastes good.
I am easy-going and would rather avoid drama and stressful situations.
I am open and expressive when it comes to feelings and dreams.
I am resilient, but have a sensitive soul.

I am proud of my accomplishments, but I carry secrets and pain too.
I am happy with my life, but there are many choices I wish I could change.
I am single and often alone, but
I am lucky to be loved by so many special people.
I am confused about my place in this world and worried about the future.
I am learning more about myself and the world everyday.

I am going through a period of transition.
I am becoming an adult whether I want to or not.
I am recovering from the most challenging year of my life.
I am tired of feeling sad.
I am a motherless child.
I am a fatherless child too.

I am Mathew O’Ryan Espinosa.
I am also Mat, Mathew, Mateo, Matty, Uncle Mat, Monsieur Mat, Vandy Man, Espi,
Mr. Espinosa, Mr. E., and Single T.
I used to be Son and Little Pill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a cool assignment. I might try it too! Awesome!