Saturday, November 15, 2008

Heartaches

I didn't think that it would happen this way. I thought this time it was different and we were different. I recognized the enhanced seriousness of this relationship to any other I have been in (although the total number is quite small). Yet I also feel as though we are both so much more mature, and we mutually agree that this split is for the best. Rationally, I understand all this. Irrationally, especially at night, at home, alone, I find things rather different. And I confess to you, for the first time, a realization that I am heartbroken. I really didn't think I would be. And yet, I feel the same things I have felt in the past, the same things described in all the movies and literature. The sadness, the emptiness, the longing for her, the jealousy, the anger, the stubbornness. Everything that keeps me from a good night's sleep.

I think it is interesting. I really am surprised, and I've been telling people all along that it wasn't so bad and it didn't hurt in that way. Grams coming will relieve some of the loneliness, now I just gotta start working on the heartbreak. I guess heartache always catches up with you in the end.

"Now the race is on and here comes Pride up the backstretch,
Heartaches going to the inside,
My Tears are holding back, they're tryin' not to fall,
My Heart's out of the running,
True Love's scratched for another's sake

The race is on and it looks like Heartaches,
and the winner loses all"

lyrics from "The Race Is On" by George Jones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mat, I just got caught up on your bloy. I'm so sorry that you and Emily didn't work out. Know that you have many people that love you. We (Ahmad, Shahla, Amineh, and me) are going to Iran from Dec. 13 through Jan.6., so we might miss you as you go through Sacramento. Have a good Christmas and stay in touch. Love, Glenda