Thursday, July 17, 2008

King of the Court

Today was a day of first.

First, at lunch the staff held a Staff Talent Show to entertain the students. And I sang. I sang my first solo in front of a group larger than 10. It was actually 150. I chose to sang my favorite song from my Hawaiian ensemble class, "Beautiful Kahana." I'm not sure what it sounded like, but I think okay at least. And I got a lot of compliments afterwards which is really nice. I think many had never heard Hawaiian before (although I violated the English all the time rule).

Then during sports I took a break from responding to lesson plans to play GaGa. Apparently it is a variety of dodgeball very popular amongst the Jewish community. The students wanted to play students vs. teachers. That meant 14 students vs. me and Ezra (the teacher). So in the first throw they manage to knock out Ezra. Then I stared down the 14 students. I taunted them a little (although I'm not sure they understood what I was saying). Then I proceeded to knock all 14 of them out, including the last 2 during the last 10 seconds of class. Basically, I ruled. Actually, I think it had more to do with them missing me than with me dodging the ball, but still I was pretty happy afterward. And sweaty.

So, I accomplished something today. Ready for bed.

No comments: