
So, I'm here again. And throughout my days leading up to being in the HK, as well as a number of times since my arrival, I have wondered about why I'm here. Of course, I can't really tell Emily this because she is already so mad that I came and I'm not in Hawaii and so telling her that I'm not enjoying it would be like rubbing salt in the wound. And I am enjoying it (mostly). Let's just say that this summer has been significantly better than the previous summer here. I really feel like I'm a respected, reliable part of the community. I feel like the teachers actively seek me for help and that they really take my advice seriously. I feel like I've connected with everyone this summer, and that didn't happen so well last time. I think that leads me to talk about why I'm here.
So, I'm working as the Dean of Faculty of Summerbridge Hong Kong (one of its three sites, at least). My main duties involves organizing the faculty training week(s), supporting the teaching quality of the program, supporting the teachers, doing observations, reading lesson plans, delivering many workshops on teaching (lesson planning, assessment, classroom management, ELD, ...), and running the evaluation week. It is a consuming job (not just time, but soul) as all jobs at Summerbridge are.
At the moment, I'm here for the teachers. I feel like I've made a connection with them and to leave now would be the absolute worst thing ever. But I think I came here this summer for these reasons:
a) I'm addicted to Summerbridge/Breakthrough. I really believe in this program.
b) I want to change lives. This program does that.
c) I don't know if I'll be able to return to Summerbridge again.
d) It's comfortable. And I was invited (didn't even have to apply) to return by Shirley.
E) I WANTED TO DO IT BETTER. I felt like a total failure the previous summer. Between all the nonsense with Stephanie around, all the emotional turmoil I was going through, the challenges of the program, and the new environment, I really wasn't doing well in any regards.
So, I'm doing better. Even better than last summer, I would say. I have made the teachers my #1 priority. I want to be there for them whenever they need me, check in with them often, and help them have an amazing experience (and become better teachers). Yes, it is really exciting for me because I know I'm training at least a few future professional teachers, and I hope they find it valuable. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from everyone. That helps a lot.
Still, I've had my difficulties. I realized one of my main challenges from the previous summer was unrelated to my emotional state. It has come up rather quickly again this summer. I have a hard time working with the director. And what's so sad is that I really REALLY like her as a person. I've felt a connection with her ever since the first day I met her. Still, I hate working with her. And I felt the same way last summer. Only now I've realized what it is about the situation that bothers me so much. I can name it. She is a huge micro-manager. I've never worked with someone like that before. Never. And I know it is because she cares so much about the program and she generally has good opinions and ideas. And I know I just need to deal with it because there are probably a lot of people like her out there, many of whom I may work with in the future.
But I still can't stand feeling like I can only do my job, what I'm supposedly responsible for, if I explain everything I want to do or say to her and receive her approval. Most often she provides lots of criticism and "suggestions" for change which are really not suggestions at all because I have no authority to not heed them. She is literally involved in every decision made in the program. I don't know how she does it. It just makes me feel like I'm not trusted to do my job well, and not allowed to make a mistake, and have no real authority or ownership over the program because in the end it must receive her approval or I must succumb to her feedback.
Well, that was how Faculty Orientation Week felt. Lousy. For her too, I know. Now that the summer has started, though, I have more freedom to manage myself. I basically spend the day talking to teachers, observing classes and giving feedback, and reading lesson plans (and giving feedback). I also work with the Department Heads to discuss teaching issues and make a lot of announcements and reminders at staff meetings. It is tiring, but not too bad. I've got my goal in focus, very clearly and that drives me.
We are about to finish Week 2 with Field Trip Day. In the afternoon we are going to Hong Kong Park to do different events where the students must use English outside of Summerbridge. It is usually pretty fun (although super tiring) and I get to lead a station and interact with the students, which I always enjoy. After that 4 weeks before I go home! Woohoo! I'm looking forward to leaving, of course, but I'm also not dreading the rest of the summer.
I LOVE SUMMERBRIDGE
T (Single T)

2 comments:
Mat - Wow! Another summer at SB! You are addicted? Is it time to start your own site yet? Breakthrough Hawaii reborn?
I was looking at your flickr pictures, figured you were at it again, and had to come over to your blog.
Enjoy your time in Hong Kong, and the teachers!
Love, Laura M
hi, just wanted to say... i've always thought that if i didn't like a place the first time i went, it meant i had to go back, because it meant i didn't see it right the first time.
another thought--i hope that your blog is viewed by invitation only, because i hope none of your students/coworkers can search for your blog!!
+your cyberstalker-wary girl
Post a Comment