I had begun to feel disillusioned with our country after the presidential elections. I thought more than half the country no longer had contact with reality nor believed in the basic tenants of democracy upon which this country stands. I was actually scared. Until last night...
Last night I attended a presentation by Howard Dean here on campus and left confident, reinvigorated, and proud of this country again. As his points wove with my own political philosophies, my personal opinions took shape into a concrete, positive platform for improvement. He convinced me that the world hasn't gone insane and that not everyone is ignorant of the problems persisting with our system today. He convinced me that the country is not really divided into blue states and red states, although politics and the media have painted it that way. One of my greatest fears would be to have a country pointedly divided beyond recognition; we are a single country after all and we must work together, right? His position was that the country is really50 purple states, with some variation in hue, but that for the most part shares a common set of beliefs, needs, and values---and that those beliefs, needs, and values coincide with a democratic platform. Democrats have had a problem in communicating what they really stand for and have allowed republicans to speak for them and, in turn, demonize them. Believe it or not, the democratic party has morals.
He explained issues of the economy, defense, and "moral issues" in a way I hadn't heard before that connected with my own personal values so deeply. Listening to him in a room of supporters, I only wished that more republicans (or those who aren't sure) could have been in the room to hear some of his perspectives and I'm sure that even if it doesn't change their position entirely, at least they would better understand, respect, and learn something from these ideas that weren't very clearly communicated during the election because the issues failed to reach below the service of the real problems facing America. He even made me seriously want to be involved in the process and run for a position on the school board or some other local government agency. After he stressed the importance that people do more than just vote, but become part of the system for change he remarked, "I know there are some of you out there thinking they could never be a politician. But, honestly, who out there doesn't think they could run this country better than George W. Bush?" Maybe I was glad there weren't many republicans present for that remark. And Mom, get Grams to stop watching Fox News all day long. Thus, a politically charged QoD, open for opinion from anyone because no matter what political ideology you subscribe, there are always ways to improve a nation.
QoD: What is the most important aspect of current policy, ideology, or system that requires attention and reform?
I'd have to say the issue of defense, but I'll explain more next time. Right now, I'd like to finish with a statement from one of my professors that really stuck with me and made sense to me regarding my mom's illness. She said, in Spanish, that right now we have a symbiotic relationship. She keeps fighting in order to see me graduate and I keep working hard in order to graduate so my mom can be there. In this way we are depending and feeding off each other. She said it was really special and unique. I agree. I love you, Mom.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
so many things need reform i think its impossible to narrow down which needs it the most. My favorite issue though is the environment, and thats not even necessarily political. Everyone (including myself) kind of treats the world like shit. I dont know. I get very discouraged thinking about killing the world, taking up all of its resources, exterminating so many other types of life...Though I might just like that one b/c I understand environmental issues like I dont understand others. Like economics I will never fully understand, at least not on a large scale. I'm really more up on social issues.
I hope your mom is doing well!
amineh
I Love You To Son...
Post a Comment