Friday, March 18, 2005

Proud to Be O'Ryan

Another week down and exactly 5 weeks left before I'm done!!! I'm a little excited about that especially cuz the weeks always fly by. See, keeping busy is good for something. Maybe I should add back on my third major...
Anyways, the weather today finally managed to climb its way back up to decency. It was actually pretty nice this afternoon: around 60 and sunny with a slight northeasternly wind and a few clouds for good measure. Of course, by 5 o'clock I was looking for my coat and by 9 I was bundled with a coat, gloves, and scarf. That inspires what might be a new tradition adding to the interactuality of the blog format. It's the-----

QoD....Question of the Day: What weather makes you happiest?

Mine definitely involves a sunny green spot with a nice breeze and a blue sky up above with a few clouds that resemble rabbits or ferrets or some fluffy animal. Today was pretty close, but not quite warm enough. And feel free to suggest a question or to respond to an entirely different question never stated in this blog.

Anyways, I hope you all remembered to wear green yesterday and didn't let any sketchy leprechaun trick you into drinking some random green liquid. If you have a hang-over at the moment from belated St. Patrick's Day partying, I apoligize for making you strain your eyes to read this.

As promised, the gossip: Yesterday I had a meeting that more or less decided my academic destiny. One of the professors was wearing the tackiest green power-suit ever! The 80s were so last year.....Anywayz, over break I found out that it would be virtually impossible to get my credentials in California without going to school for at least another year and retaking all my education classes. Not an option. So, I've got to get my credentials from Tennessee. I went to the school of education at UC Davis and the dept. chair suggested that the best option might be for her to find me a supervisor to do my student teaching in California, but under the Vanderbilt program. "Brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that???" is all that runs through my head. I've already tried to convince Peabody's administration that this is a viable option, but, unfortunately, my luck didn't change on Thursday. Despite the fact that both UC Davis & Sac State offered to accomodate me with a "courtesy placement," that could videotape & email correspondence to Vanderbilt for observation, and that various professors & grad students have offered to FLY OUT TO SACRAMENTO just to observe me as needed, not to mention the specialness of the circumstances I'm under, the administrations stubbornly stuck by their position that no exceptions could be made to the policy. Bureaucracy. Some people are still encouraging me to push the issue with "higher-ups," but I think I'm just going to accept what I've got and make the best out of it.

I think I'm going to try and live in this one dorm where you have special meetings, parties, sports, and dinners that pertain to the foreign language you speak. I have different friends who've lived there and thought it was awesome. So, there's one thing to look forward to, eh?
Anyways, I'm gonna go to sleep and pray to some god that I can be productive tomorrow on the research paper that I'll be tempted to put off until Sunday night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite weather is when its chilly, just a little bit crip though, not enough to make you truly cold. Just so your nose is cold. And then, add in enough wind to blow my hair everywhere and make my arms feel like flying up. I get kind of crazy on those days, laughing and smiling for no reason other than the wind. :) though yours sounds really nice too!
i think you should keep pushing administration about the student teaching. Honestly, thats supposed to be one of the good things about going to a private school, you get more leeway and interaction with higher-ups. or you should anyway.
-Amineh

Anonymous said...

dude, Amineh, I feel like you're my fellow reading-mat's-blog soulmate!:) And I suppose in that vein I should say thanks, mat, for connecting me to my erstwhile, curly-haired soulmate!

But yeah dude, none of this adding your third major back on crap;) I'll personally fly out and kick your ass--and then re-register you to take nothing but creative basket-weaving or some other such lightwieght classes. Not to say that there aren't hardcore basket-weaving classes, of course, but I won't register you for those. You WILL have free time at some point, if it's the last thing I do;)

Mat Espinosa said...

okay amineh,
i will give you props for your favorite weather. i do enjoy a slighly brisk fall day where you put on long sleeves and frolic in all the colors of autumn. i can especially picture you being all bundled and crazily happy with a red nose. :)