Saturday, February 05, 2005

They Say Anything Goes

Okay, so I turned in some writing for this Hispanic celebration thing and they have asked me to write more stuff for tomorrow. They must be desperate, right? For all of those from high school: The theme of the show is Buscando una estrella, a Latino Star Search. They wanted to play short videos of contestants who supposedly didn't make the cut. Well, in a tribute to Luke, I suggested we have a really hammy gringo do a music video for Enrique Iglesia's "Esperanza." They really liked the idea, believe it or not. So thanks, Luke, for the inspiration...
I'm sure that he is probably drunk at the moment (seeing as it is a Saturday night, not that he's the kind to discriminate), but for me it's another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody. Actually, I have to write some more stuff for Café and really should do some homework, but I won't. I decided that I really don't like partying. I get really uncomfortable unless I know everyone pretty well. Aside from an emergency writer's meeting to tell me that I need to write some more stuff cuz some other hoes dropped out, I spent the day with Lan trying to convince her to come back to Sacramento to spend some of the summer with me. She's applying to teach Summerbridge with me and it would be so cool to have her out there. Her and Ashley were the very first friends I made here at Vandy and that's mostly because they made friends with me. So it would be cool to have her, especially because she's never been out west before so it would be a huge deal.
Yesterday, I went and supported my two roommates in their performance of Anything Goes. It was free, but that still felt almost like a rip-off. The play is so stupid and did nothing but tarnish my views on musicals. I can't believe that so many people know it and have performed in it!! Ronnie and Jeremy were part of a group of sailors on the ship where this thing takes place. They pulled in the only awesome number, Ronnie especially stood out as the only one with serious talent in the entire production. I feel bad saying this, but I've heard some horror stories from the rehearsal process (mind you the whole thing is student run) and the musical didn't give em much to work with. Still, the experience was enjoyable, it was just the most stupid night of entertainment ever.
Lots of people are sick over here which makes me very worried. Despite all the sucky things that are going on in my life, being healthy is one of the few things I got going for me. Don't take that away from me!!! Oh! And I wanted to write about an adventure I had in the parking garage yesterday. Ronnie's dad came in to see his show and after the show the three of us were going to this all-night café (kinda like True Love, only less groovin) called Café Coco. Ronnie's dad had parked in the parking garage by our building and by the time we went to leave the attendant had already left. All the arms were down trapping us in with no escape in sight! The arms could be lifted with a special card, but we had not that card. I thought of getting out and lifting the arm, but then was reminded that that probably wouldn't work. We drove through the garage and tried three different exits- all with no success. We even tried to go around one of the arms, but the car just wasn't that flexible. Finally we returned to the front, willing to just ram the thing if we needed to (we were desperate to get to that café), when I happened to notice a sign a short ways away from the arm. It said that visitors could drop their tickets into this mangy green box to lift the arm. Skeptical, we decided to try and VOILA!! Up goes the arm and we laugh to drown the stupidity.
I also wanted to mention this guy that I'm going to be tutoring for my Latino Immigration Experience class. His name is Pedro, he's 17 and he's in the 9th grade. He's been here for only 9 months!! We had a great first meeting, but that was all in Spanish. We identified together that his biggest goal was to develop his English. I feel so lost as to how to do that, seeing as he knows so little, has six classes in English every weekday, and is only a few years younger than me. I just don't know where to start when there's so little to work with. But he's a really good kid. He wants to support his family, stay away from the gangs and other problems that offer escape from the difficulties of being successful in school. He was really happy after the first meeting and walked me out to the car and I think he appreciated the mentoring and help I'm offering. I'd like to get to meet his mom and hear her stories and get her opinion on what she wants to see her boy doing. But, this should definitely prove to be a valuable, challenging, and eye-opening experience.
OK, I think that's plenty for you to peruse for the moment. Keep smiling and enjoying the rest of your weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I too spent my saturday evening in. specifically, i got takeout with my mother and we spent the evening watching sex and the city.
2. partyings not my thing either. i prefer smaller groups of people i know, otherwise its uncomfortable. and then, if you only know one person, you end up only talking to them all evening. Its a vicious circle, man.
3. anything goes IS a crappy musical, and i love musicals!

Anonymous said...

Anything Goes was a little too difficult for me to read (color/font/background..)

Anonymous said...

....it occurred to me i didn't sign my name. i left that first comment. and by i, i mean amineh. heh.