Saturday, February 12, 2005

How do you like your Cafe?

So, I had a really busy week and next week should be pretty busy too! On top of all the work associated with seven classes and work and being at 4 school sites, I did a bunch of work for Cafe con Leche too. I had to do a little more writing last weekend and then during the week I supervised the filming for some of the "acts that got cut for the show." It turns out that I was also in one of them too. It was fun though. I played Ramon who together with Javiera, an ex-girlfriend (drama!), were trying to audition with some of our mad tango skills. In the course of the filming Javiera runs into a table, gets caught in some painful splits, Ramon gets kicked "south of the border," she eats a thorny rose, and finally Javiera all-out attacks Ramon. It was physical comedy at its finest (I say knowing full-well that I wrote, directed, and acted in the scene). I love how we randomly tried to invent the tango, seeing as neither of us knew how it went. We danced to the tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge. So, if you ever want to see an authentic tango presentation- go to Argentina. BUT if you ever want to see an unauthentic tango presentation- feel free to ask me.
One of the acts I wrote for filming wasn't able to be filmed in time. So, what happens to Mat? He gets roped into performing it live in the show. Now I've got a few rehearsals to do this coming week. Today we had a rehearsal and I took over the role of taking notes and giving suggestions on how to improve the acts. The big show is on Thursday night and there won't be any more dress rehearsals all together or anything, so that's a little scary. Hopefully everything will come out alright. I've also got to coach the hosts as far as acting out there little intros. But I think it'll be cool. I've also put in my proposal for the 24-hour theater for the faculty. So, they are now reviewing that and going to look into when we can do it. It looks pretty good!! I've realized that keeping myself busy not only is what I do every semester, but also keeps me centered and focused, especially during a time when I could be really worried about my mom.
I've also got meetings this coming week to look over a petition that I'm writing up asking for permission to do my student teaching in Sacramento. I know that it would make a huge difference and be so worthwhile in so many ways. I've got a lot of support from some high up faculty, but my advisor seems to think that the policy is unbendable, that it doesn't have much of a chance to pass, and hasn't been too supportive. We'll see what happens though. I'm going to write the petition this weekend and then I have a few meetings throughout the week with different professors to review it before I take it to the director of undergraduate studies.
Yesterday I went to the big Asian cultural celebration. There were some cool dances with ribbons and handkercheifs. Then there was a wickedly awesome Chinese yo-yo performance where they did some awesome feats of talentful yo-yoing skill. A hula performance, wetting my appetite to go to Hawaii and a cool modern tininkling filipino dance that uses the long sticks that people jump between and then out and you know what??? It's hard to describe dances in words. The coolest part about the tininkling was that they did it to contemporary pop music. There was also singing in Chinese, a "killer" martial arts performance, and a spoken word performance about stereotypes/diversity/inequality. This is more or less the amalgamation that will be Cafe con Leche.
Mom is continuing to do well. She had lost her voice for a while, but it's more or less returned (much to the dismay of my grandmother). Because she has had such a lack of appetite and nothing tastes good to her, she has been prescribed a pill called Marinol that will up her appetite and kill some of the pain in her chest. Given what the pill does, you can feel free to figure out what the mari in Marinol might stand for.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy belated valentines day! when do you come to sac?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Happy belated Valentines Day!
When are you coming to sac?
-Shahla

Anonymous said...

oops, I guess i posted that twice, sorry:)

Anonymous said...

mari...nates?
that's the best i can come up with man.
-stasia:)

Anonymous said...

dude! stasia, thats totally what i thought of too! -Amineh

Mat Espinosa said...

Appetite....
Pain killer....
High as a kite....
Mari....Juana....????!

Anonymous said...

well, mathew, obviously you will make a smashing teacher. :)
-Amineh

Anonymous said...

...as well as a fantastic future drug dealer, apparently;)
-stasia:)