I love having family traditions. As a matter of fact, there are already a lot of them that I miss from when I was growing up. I collect traditions from everywhere I travel and the families that I meet. This Christmas, we had cookie decorating parties and cookies and notes to Santa and new pajamas for everyone on the night before Christmas. And I love having a set place to go. A ritual you can enjoy with others.
I guess I love family. Something seems so right about coming here and spending time with my sister. I couldn't have asked for a better dose of family than I got (although it comes at the price of spending winter in Indiana). I love the kids and the little moments of smiling and hugs and I love you's. I love the chatting and playing games and eating together and watching movies. It is so true that I'm just not a "go clubbing" or "explore something new everyday" person. I like being home and doing the simple things like talking and watching movies, when there is family (and I extend this to close friends) to share it with. Not that I don't want to explore new things, clearly I do. I love traveling and feel compelled to explore nature or a new neighborhood or a new restaurant (okay, I love new restaurants). I'm moving to San Diego for goodness sakes.
But I love family. I just found out that my older brother, Brian, and his new wife, Mandie, are expecting a baby. So my family is growing. At the same time I am trying to balance compromising my dreams and personal needs, with keeping my family from growing apart. In many ways, family can be draining and carry a lot of responsibility. I know this from the last month that I spent with my grandma. But at the same time, my family has always given and continues to give me so much in return that I know I could never give enough to my grandma or my sister or brothers to repay them for all they have given me. I am in debt and give freely. Obviously there are limits to how much you can give, but most of what is needed (time, a place to stay, a phone call, etc.) are not too expensive.
So, this is what the holidays has given me. I have felt so contented this Christmas, yet there is a little something that seems to be missing. That unknown about my own family. I heard yesterday that one of my professors predicted I'd be married in a year. Now, I'm pretty sure that won't happen given the current circumstances of being single and without any potential candidates. =) Nevertheless, it strikes me that he would say that. Because it is something that I long for, as the jealous youngest child of my generation. Of course, I'm not a rash person either and wouldn't jump into anything recklessly. I get hurt too easily. Nor do I want to appear desperate on the dating scene. =)
But I am collecting traditions that I want to share with my future family. If that is odd, especially for a guy, than that is what I am. I can accept that. Hopefully you can too. =) If you want to share any of your favorite family traditions, please feel free.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Okay, three things that come to mind when thinking about family traditions:
1)This one isn't exactly a family tradition in that it only involves part of my family, but my dad used to always give me a calendar for christmas. It was pretty rad, and now I think about him when I have to go buy my own damn calendar;)
2) I think most traditions that involve my whole family are centered around eating, which is kind of silly--though a big old dinner on Christmas eve (vegetarian friendly, even!:) is kind of fun.
3) And this tradition is my favorite ever, though it's kind of fallen by the wayside a bit because we're not usually in the same place anymore, but Alex and I used to always take a walk together Christmas morning to see everyone in a good mood and playing with their new toys. Same with new year's day: we'd walk around and be happy about all the people out and about starting off their new year's resolutions:) Of the three traditions, this one is my favorite:)
And I'm realizing that these are all holiday-based traditions. Probably the non-holiday ones are even cooler (especially in terms of keeping you close to people during times that aren't already designed to give you time to hang out with your friends and family), but maybe I'll email you instead of taking up all this space on your blog:)
Post a Comment