Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Heat in the House

Why is it that we treat those closest to us, those we care most about, the worst?

Joke:
A good friend comes over for a visit and as they leave they forget the umbrella. A few moments later you see the umbrella and run out chasing after the car, umbrella in hand. "Hey, I noticed that you forgot your umbrella." "Oh, thanks! I can't believe you ran it out to me. I'll need it later."

Your significant other leaves the house and as they leave they forget the umbrella. A few moments later you see the umbrella, pick it up, and step outside. You shout, "Hey! Hey, dumb ass. How can leave your umbrella sitting in the house in THIS weather. Do you WANT to get rained on?"



Well, I mean sometimes we treat those closest to us like this. We often also treat them the best. It is a strange dichotomy. But I know I've been guilty of it. And I see it again with my family. Maybe it is just my family. But then again, I didn't make up this joke so at least a few other families must be like this.

What causes it? Is it that we have higher expectations for those we love the most? Is it that we know we can hurt them and it won't really change things between us? Is it that we expend all of our patience on others and have none left when we come home? Or something else?

I don't know. I guess I see it and maybe I even tolerate it. Maybe? But at the same time I regret it. Just seeing the relationship between my sister and I. Now when I'm here I'm the guest, she cherishes the moments with me and I with her. I don't argue with her at all. Absolutely no fighting for weeks. I'm the good friend who forgot their umbrella. Yet, when we lived together, all we did was fight. Loved each other, sure, but on each other's case constantly.

I don't know, I think I had a dream about this because this is what was on my mind this morning.

No comments: