Okay, so I've been ruminating on this issue for a while, ever since I was hired to take over the teaching position for the teacher that left early. That meant I had to do my job, plus do a number of additional tasks not in my job description including planning and teaching lessons, doing weekly student evaluation notes, participating in meetings with the other teachers that I share students with, and being the Arts department head. So, I have been thinking about whether I should get some sort of pay increase for doing it. It certainly was never offered. But the more I thought of it and the more people that I've shared with, the more I think I should get something more. I mean, yes some extra money would be much appreciated, but it isn't the real issue. The real issue is professionalism. Knowing that the teacher, Amy, won't receive her paycheck for the second half of the summer, I know it isn't like I'd be robbing from Summerbridge. You would think it would just be offered, right? And then today I found out that they had tried to hire Leo (the patron saint of SBHK) to take over the class, and he turned it down. In other words, Shirley tried to find someone else to take the job and was willing to pay them something, but instead stuck me with the job and didn't offer any money.
I think it is one example of the way I've been treated this summer (and in 2006). I feel fairly unappreciated and disrespected, not recognized as a professional- not an SB teacher, and generally left out because I don't act like Shirley's lap dog, waiting to do everything she tells me to. After all, am I not supposed to be the expert teacher and have some authority and expertise to share? I don't know. But there are only four days (WHAT?? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS TRUE!!) left and then I'm done. For good.
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment