Returning from Indiana after graduation, both of my flights ended up being delayed. The backstory would be that after graduation week and all the early mornings and late nights, I was exhausted. So, when added to hours of waiting in the airport and arriving home around 11:30pm and getting to bed around 1:30am so that I could wake up at 6am, the following morning was not so pleasant. Still I showed up to school with a smile on my face and a sack full of trinkets and pictures to share with the students about my trip.
Quickly, the smile was washed away as my principal came in shortly after school had started and I sent the kids off to PE. She asked me about my trip, but cut me off and that made me think something was up. When she handed over my journal/notebook, I had an even better clue about what was up. You see, I use this particular notebook for a variety of purposes including journal writing, lists, notes, etc. I had some information written in that notebook about things I needed to do for the sub when I was gone and I had brought it in and, in my rush to leave, must have left the notebook behind by the computer or on my desk. Well, some kid found it (as a matter of fact, the wrong kid found it) and read it and shared it and talked about it to their parents. Some of the first entries contain notes with slightly scandalous information; not super bad or anything, but definitely inappropriate for my fourth graders. Well, from there rumors began to swirl about me bringing in my girlfriend and passing notes to her in class and kissing her in front of the students. Then some of the parents jumped on the opportunity to complain that I move too fast in my math lessons and wasn't addressing the needs of their kids. And basically a whole "let's get rid of Mat" movement started and I was completely oblivious.
At least until all this was dumped on me first thing in the morning on my first day back.
Resolution: calm the storm, dispell the rumors, (don't think the kids got an adequate punishment for starting rumors and invading my privacy), grit and bare it, counsel them about dealing with there feelings of loss of the perfect Mrs. Livesey (didn't exactly agree with this), and make the kids feel guilty for the trouble they caused. Many parents came out in support and a bunch of the kids (the ones with a conscience) did feel bad and wrote me some letters of apology and support and things are okay now. But it totally burst my bubble and ever since I've felt so much less motivated to do anything for them, as if I owe them nothing and I'm just waiting to get through the last few weeks. Some of their parents are the root of all their problems. That is all I will say.
An official introduction to one of the many joys of teaching.
Get me back in school! ;-)
Thursday, May 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment