Tuesday, May 23, 2006

It all went down in Chinatown

Actually, that title makes it sound more dangerous than it really was. I will say that I was worried about losing a child somewhere in San Francisco all day. Luckily, there were about as many parents chaperoning as there were kids, so I didn't have to worry too much.

We took Amtrack all the way there. It was really really nice! Although driving down to the Bay isn't all that bad, I think the train is my new favorite mode of transportation. And with all the parents, I didn't have to pay much attention to the kids. Plus, after we arrived in Emeryville and took the Amtrack bus to San Francisco, we got to eat lunch at a Cantonese restaurant in Chinatown. And then we went on this really neat tour and went shopping before coming home. I learned so much! I feel bad for Lan and Ashley because when they wanted to go to Chinatown when they came to visit me for spring break, I had no idea where to take them or what to tell them. Now I do! We learned about how it was founded, went to some markets (including a live food market), the fortune cookie factory, a medicine store with all sorts of herbal remedies (the tour guide made me stick out my tongue for everyone to analyze), and a buddhist temple. At the temple she made me think of a question (I asked about my trip to Hong Kong) and then I shook this can of sticks and the first one to fall out would give me my answer. Not as simple as you think because the stick only has a number that corresponds to an ancient Chinese poem that I have to then translate or else my students would get no homework for the rest of the year.

Luckily, I snuck back in later and had the priest (or whatever you call them) help me translate it. The answer as that a plum tree looks so bare in the winter, but if you wait until spring the fruit will blossom. Make of it what you will.

No comments: