Sunday, April 24, 2005

Hootie Blows!! Eat Cake Instead!!!!

So, you know you're in college when you're sitting around a pint of ice cream with two friends eating with forks cuz there are no clean spoons in the house. This was my last night. I took the opportunity to show them my supporting role in the movie Galaxy Quest while I simultaneously hammered away at one of the five huge projects/papers that I had to finish this weekend. That's not counting the two things I finished early that are also due on Monday. It's gonna suck. I'm down to two things left for tomorrow, but I've got 20 hours between now and my first class tomorrow morning and that's plenty of time to pump out a couple of papers. But after that, I'm practically done! I've got a final to study for on Friday and another take-home final which should be easy to do. Practically done. And at this time next week I'll be home in Sacramento!! That's actually kind of scary because I may not be coming back to Vanderbilt again (at least not for another semester). I'm definitely not prepared to just leave, I haven't really said my goodbyes or anything, but I still don't have any official word on what's going on with my student teaching. I'm living la vida en la rayita.

This weekend hasn't been all work and no play, of course. On Friday, my co-workers (half middle-aged women, the other half female grad students) took me out for a birthday/goodbye celebration. We went to this Baja Mexican restaurant and they had gotten me a couple of cards with notes from all of them and some money for my birthday. Of course, I wasn't carded based on the group I was with. Once they all got a couple margaritas in them, they started breaking out the first bra stories and I managed to tune out just when they started talking about a belt with clips to help a "sanitary napkin." But it was fun. We have a nice little family and I've been working there for three years. They've been loaning me their cars for my different errands, they are usually the first ones to hear me complain or explain about my day, and Carol, the coordinator of the group, is like my resident mom out there. So it meant a lot.

Plus, this weekend we had Rites of Spring here at Vandy. It's a big concert series with bands playing all day Thursday-Saturday. Guess who was the headliner on Thursday... Sacramento's own, Cake!! They were really good, although the set seemed really short. I liked a bunch of their new stuff so much that I even bought their new CD. I ended up not being able to go to much else all weekend because I had so much work to do. I was going to go see Hootie and the Blowfish play yesterday, but it was way too cold. Somehow it went from 75-80 and gorgeous for five days to 50 rainy and ugly overnight. After a week of awesome weather, shorts weather even, it was freakin freezing and gross yesterday. Today is one of those tricky it's sunny, but 49 degrees days. Anyways, from what I hear Hootie complained a bunch about the weather. And a bunch of drunk people were throwing beer cans at him, which I'm sure didn't help his attitude. They did it just cuz they were drunk and seemed like a good thing to do. I don't get it. I don't know why you would ever want to drunk. It's so stupid. Unless you're in a situation so awful that you want to make it through without remembering any of it. Other than that, I'm lost. Anyways, I don't think Hootie is coming back. Lucky for him, he's got the Burger King commercials to fall back on.

Oh, and to return to the QoD, I was famous for my gypsy impression. I've got it on video if you ever want to watch it.

Peace...

No comments: