So yesterday I signed my contract for PB Middle (8th grade English). I fought hard for it. I had sent 30 emails, written numerous cover letters, and applied for over 90 positions. I was so relieved to have been picked up. This principal really wanted me and stuck with me even when the HR department wanted her to pick someone else. Someone already with a permanent district contract. They didn't want to hire me because they would have to offer me a new contract. You see, I've been unemployed since July. For whatever the reason, probably persistence, they gave in and I got the go ahead.
I was excited, needless to say. But then I discovered this contract was another temporary contract. Meaning that I will again find myself unemployed and uninsured come next July. I won't even get a full month's pay in June.
And yet, I am approached as if I should be so grateful and I'm the lucky one. And in many ways I should. After all, it was very tough to get this job and I'm sure there are plenty of other teachers out there in my situation that still don't have a job yet.
But I find the guarantee of unemployment and no benefits unacceptable. It is so frustrating to think that you poured all your effort and energy into this passion and finally have a chance to actualize your dreams, only to discover that no matter who you are, the door will not open. It makes me think I picked the wrong career path. And I wouldn't complain in isolation since I haven't even been here for a year. I worry because I had colleagues in this situation for several years prior. And I refuse to go through this for years. If the public schools do not see fit or capable to offer me job security, then maybe I need to take my butt elsewhere. Because I cannot bring the same level of dedication to a job I know I am destined to lose as I would a career to span multiple years.
So, I will be on the offensive this year. Find a summer job. Do all the research I can into the possibilities and ways of getting a permanent contract. If the possibilities are not good in San Diego Unified, I will search elsewhere. If there are no possibilities in teaching, I will move out of teaching. I don't want to go through this again. And I'm not going to leave my life in the hands of San Diego Unified. I will take it into my own hands.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment