Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Showers

First of all, the weather here is really different. In Rennes, it was often cloudy and there was some rain. But the strangest thing was that the sun was up so late! It was up from 7am to 11pm!! It felt like afternoon at 8pm. Then in Alsalce, it has been colder and rainier. Definitely good for long-sleeves. Oh well. I’ll be sweating so much in Hong Kong, I’m sure I’ll more than make up for it.

The showers here are really different. I respect the attempts to save water, but they take some getting used to. The shower heads are hand-held and you shower in a bath tub, often without in sort of a shower curtain. That means you have to be careful not to squirt everything in the bathroom/water closet. So, to not get everything wet, you kneel down in the tub and then wet yourself. Actually, I’ve taken to sitting because it is hard on the knees to kneel in the tub. Then you turn off the water and put the shower head down and soap/shampoo-up. It gets a little cold during this portion of the shower. Then you turn the shower back on and rinse. I think the whole kneeling thing makes it take a little longer, because you can’t wet your whole body as easily as the overhead showers. I don’t know, it isn’t too bad. Just different.

No comments: