Monday, August 13, 2007

Becoming Island Boy Again

So, today was the first day I was able to look around at the mountains and palm trees, breathe in the island air, and think I love Hawaii. I probably won't be able to do that much the next few days when the hurricane rolls in. But I'm glad I can do that now.

Before I left I was incredibly stressed out (unfortunate for Emily). I wasn't ready to leave the comfort of my California life. I wasn't ready emotionally to part with my family and say goodbye to my home. I wasn't ready physically having had to work everyday up through that Thursday long hours and spending the last week trying to pack in as much as possible. I didn't have that time to decompress, process, say goodbyes, prepare myself, and relax. I was bitter because I wasn't ready to deal with the stress of preparing my classes, being president of HATESL, and especially of not knowing where the hell I was living (or staying Friday) when I got back.

I feel better know. Thursday I called my friend Julie (who is very French Canadian) and she was so willing and ready to help me and let me stay with her. I'm so lucky to have her. And then yesterday I went to house hunt and saw about 5 places. There was one place I found on craigslist that I was really excited to see, but I went to these other places first. Each was so old and shabby and small and bare and I just wasn't happy with them. Plus they were in neighborhoods my mom wouldn't want me living in. One was definitely livable, but wasn't great. Then I picked up Emily and we went to this one in Manoa which was a one bedroom basement apartment in a gorgeous home. It blew us away. It was so beautiful and clean and new and spacious. It comes fully furnished, has built in washer/dryer, and...a pool! Not to mention an incredibly gorgeous view of the mountains. I was immediately sold and so was she. So I got it. It'll be perfect for visitors. And it'll be my first chance to have a place all to myself. I'm soooo excited about it.

Today we have a welcome cooler for new students in our program. I'm looking forward to meeting them. And who knows what else I will get up to. I think it should be a fun time.

Feeling happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a nice place. Hold on tightly when the big wind comes. Glenda